Saturday, June 23, 2012

It's not only hot but it's on fire

Less than 15 miles away, about 12 minutes on the road:
 If I took a photo to the left, starting on the left edge of this one, you would see Pikes Peak and you could see the area where I live. It's 97 degrees outside and unless there was some tragic accident, there is no excuse for this or any other fire outside of lightening. The only thing to stop this fire from spreading our way would be the wind and a huge effort of first responders. It's like starting a fire in a box of matches, it's that dry. The forecast says possible thunderstorm tomorrow but otherwise it's going to be in the mid 90's for the next 5 days.

Close up:

I never assume a fire will reach home, but this is the largest closest fire since I've been living here. 3 buckets all ready to go with 1 weeks worth of food and necessities for use and the dogs. I have water jugs on the front porch that I use for hot water (the sun is a wonderful thing), those will be toss in a vehicle with the buckets and we are set.

Sure it would suck to lose pictures and other stuff, but it's replaceable and it's just stuff. If it gets close enough to really worry I will start hauling stuff across town into a storage facility. There aren't any trees on the other side of town but we are surrounded by them.

I spent 3 hours in the garden today, I even made another section and planted some bush beans, baby sweet watermelon and some more radishes. I had to put up a fence to keep the dogs out, they can't avoid trampling the pumpkins and taking over a bigger area would mean more trampling. I thinned out the other radishes and got the yard mowed, etc. I'm hanging out inside until later tonight when it's cool enough to get some ribs pre-cooked for the BBQ tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you and your family don't end up in the path of the fire. If the wind is blowing in your direction remember that embers can blow a mile or more ahead of the fire. Also in your things to pack, if you have a cookbook of family recipes that your family uses each year, especially at holiday time make sure it gets tossed in the car. Or do what I've done - scanned our family handwritten recipes. Why? If your house burns down it is true that you will just rebuild but when the holiday time comes around it sure would be nice to have your own recipes to make your meal rather than having to start over again. It seems rather trivial but after talking with many families who've been burned out many have made this comment. I try to pass this tip along as often as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. We have a metal slide roof and everything around here is green but the joy of living on the edge of town in the foothills means you have the potential of fires at any given time.
    Thanks for the cookbook tip, it's loaded up. I know most of them but still reference this and other books a lot.

    ReplyDelete