Friday, May 11, 2012

Brownie overload

Mayan cocoa is the best stuff on the planet, $10 for 8 ounces, and I have a lot of it. I'm not shy about eating and I've had my share of brownies, but nothing beats a Mexican brownie. Made entirely from food storage as a bonus.
It's a brownie pie for 8 people
 The first batch was perfect and while it was baking I got the 2nd batch going. Swapped the pans out of the oven and cleaned up. 20 minutes later I turned the pan and knew it was a disaster. The edges of the mix were at full boil like the batter was too thin or had to much oil. That wasn't the case, everything was identical to the first batch, I don't make mistakes in the kitchen... or do I? Nope, everything was on the money when I went over it in my mind, so I really don't have any clue what happened.
Looks wrong in the picture.
The batter was a little thick, as you can see from the 2 different pictures, but thick batter would never boil, it just doesn't cook correctly and normally burns. I pulled the pan out at the correct time and it wasn't cooked at all. There was an oil coating the brownies, the edges were boiled and burnt and I couldn't cut it without a huge effort. Not in a panic I just made another brownie pie while this monstrosity cooled off.
The bad brownies are still in the pan, in the sink. I've soaked it for 36 hours and it's only now just starting to get soft. I don't want to damage the pan so I'm being patient while the water soaks in. I still can't figure out what would cause this, 3 T of veg oil is the only oil in the recipe so to have some kind of oil film and oil boil is just a freak thing that I can't understand.
The 3rd batch was perfect, but I am a little biased.

Rainy wet weekend forecast but that's perfect for my running. I'm trying for 30 miles before Sunday night on some new trails that shouldn't be muddy even with rain. I'm going to my first baby shower but was promised there will be other guys there and it will be a BBQ. I already feel like I've been tricked and apparently I'm supposed to buy gifts to bring with me. Why not just get people together to celebrate and feast.
It's tough being simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment