Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The harder you work

the less you sleep? Not something new to me luckily but it's still not very exciting to lay around for hours on end.

The weather seemed to change every hour this weekend, creating some bizarre clothing patterns. This is the time of year that the heat is turned way down but there is a blanket on the couch. We had rain, snow, sleet, hail, wind, sun, fog and probably some other descriptive words I can't think of.

The way the storms roll in still amazes me. Looking out the window you suddenly can't see the mountains but you can look up and see the cloud bank edge as if it were having a battle with the sun. When you are out of the trees and into the plains you can watch it creep down the ridges as if it's going to be a white out. It was a battle like that all weekend and I had to deice the car windows on Monday morning but it was beautiful.
Looking back towards the house.
Looking Northwest.
Apparently I was sick last week. Somewhere between Monday and Thursday I picked up a nasty cold but I didn't even realize I was sick. I had put in about 10 hours at the gym in the first 4 days of the week so I assumed I had overdone it like usual. When Friday rolled around I could tell something else was wrong so I had a lot of NyQuil and finally managed some sleep that night.

I'm about 95% (that's probably not saying much in my life) and I only spent 2 hours at the gym last night. Jiu Jitsu is going well even if I don't have any idea of what I'm doing. Kickboxing is improving, I'm working hard on my flexibility but it's a slow process. MMA sparring didn't go so well last week but I'm hoping that was because of me being sick. I'm having a good time and working on defense with an occasional flurry of beating the tar out of my opponent.

The garden is ready to be planted this weekend but I've got some work stuff going on so it might wait until mid next week. Tomato, cucumber, hot peppers and zucchini. A very simple garden this year with a few dozen heads of lettuce already growing tall. At the cabin we will plant a lot more variety because it's still in experimental mode, trying to determine what grows well without much attention (and without getting eaten by the wildlife).

We need to get some jelly canned in the next few weeks so that means a trip to Costco for flats of berries and other goodies. Time to dig up a jar of money.

6 comments:

  1. Max - first off - can you give me directions to those jars of money? next off - sometimes you can really set yourself back if you are sick and still working out as hard as you do....i'm not trying to mother you, just trying to say that if you feel a little sick, stay home, drink fluids, lay on the couch, read books, get a good night's sleep and then do it the next day. when our bodies aren't up to top level, we can grind them into the ground and be sick for a week and a half instead of just 2 days or so.

    your mountains and your land are beatiful - but what a mix of weather!

    sending love. your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good advice but I didn't even know I was sick until it was too late, then I did take 2 days off. Two whole days of reading books, digging holes, hiking, making cookies, drinking tea, etc.
      TWO! :)

      Delete
  2. Kymber is right, it's a special place you have there. I always enjoy your pictures. Sounds like your physical training regime is grueling. Probably helps with stress relief, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that it's getting warmer out in the mountains, we will spend a lot of time on the deck enjoying lunch and listening the the water rush downstream. Hopefully by July we can try to actually get up to some summit's and enjoy the view from above.

      Delete