Sunday, December 14, 2014

Hospice for the holidays

Unfortunately it's that time, suddenly. We were expecting and hoping for a good recovery, but it's one thing after another and a Friday emergency room visit proved to be the catalyst.
More growths on the intestines, liver and brain. Blood clot in the leg. Other things perhaps elsewhere. Mother in law said that was enough, no more prodding, poking or tests. Make her comfortable.

She is still talkative but you can see her fading away in strength and it's just a matter of time. Everyone is talking about the good times, the recent good times, the old times, the time she swam nude in a hotel pool and noticed some Swedish Navy guys checking her out through the glass doorway (it wasn't a nude pool).

So it's good and it's sad. The holidays haven't been "happy" since my Dad passed away, this makes them worse for both of us. We agreed that I'll take care of things at home and work so everyone else can focus on the last few days. Today I was at the hospital most of the day, brought up some cranberry bliss bars from Starbucks and then we got some hot dogs and french fries. She isn't on a restricted diet anymore and if you want cookies for breakfast, you get cookies!

I say that we can only do the best with the time we are given. I also say that I hope we can all be so strong, and capable of making our own decisions when the time comes. There is a family meeting in about 30 minutes that I'm not attending. There are enough people there, and I've already gotten the last wishes and other things from Father in law.

Honestly, I can only grieve and cry so much and I need to be strong for everyone. I'll have my moment when the time is right, probably on the side of a mountain. She had an amazing life, traveled around the world, had anything she ever needed and wanted, 4 children and 3 grandchildren.

I'll be back in a few days, maybe longer. Merry Christmas in case I don't get back to posting before then. Remind your family how much you love them.


3 comments:

  1. Max, my heart breaks with yours - and also rejoices with you in her wonderful life.

    Do what's needful; the rest will take of itself. You, wife & extended family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The timing of all this is not so good for you, is it? Not much to be said, it's a tough situation. I hope you and your wife can get through it as painlessly as possible.

    ReplyDelete