Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Rain, on top of rain!

The weather for some has been miserable, it's summer and they enjoy the 100 degree heat we often get. I'm enjoying the overcast rain, it's making the garden really flourish this year. Mid 70 degree weather and hours upon hours of rain with a few hours of nice sunshine are perfect.

I know that veggies are sneaky, but 2 days ago I didn't have a single cucumber. I know this since I was helping direct them onto the fence. I don't want them laying on the ground, they are supposed to climb but often meander wherever they feel like. Last night when I was harvesting some zucchini, I checked the cucumbers out again... I have about a dozen of them close to picking time.

It's national pit bull week! Not sure if that's true or not, but Rock was very pleased to hear about it.

Those who saw my adventure from this past Saturday will be pleased (or not) to know I'm recovered and ready for the next random thing. This picture below shows the route I took.

This picture is from Monday morning on my drive to work. Not only was it beautiful, it's was full of wildlife. I saw about 40 does, 12 bucks of various sizes, 2 groups of 20+ wild turkeys and a bighorn sheep.

Since it's not that great canned, I decided to freeze a lot of the zucchini and squash this year. I did one batch from the fridge that I had picked and then cleaned the garden out again. I have a feeling I'll have a lot more batches and a freezer full of nutritious veggies for the winter.


Heading to the cabin tonight with another load of supplies. We are going to redo the roof on the little shed and shore up the woodshed roof this weekend. I'm waiting to see how the month turns out at work before I decide how much firewood to order. When I wake up at the cabin I'm reminded that winter is coming, 49 degree's is the average morning temperature at 5am.

8 comments:

  1. Your cabin temps are about like ours here at sea level. Good sleeping weather, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sleep really well at the cabin as long as it's cool inside. The comforters we have are heavy duty so normally I'm overheated and just use the sheet.
      I think it's the quiet and solitude that we both enjoy that helps us sleep so well.

      Delete
  2. I am so happy for you Max, that everything has come together. I am not sure that you like potato salad, but I received a recipe for a potato with grilled zukes and yellow squash mixed with a honey mustard dressing, and chilled. Use whatever mustard you have on hand, Dijon, or something a little spicy. It is a refreshing change to just plain potato salad. No particular order, just make sure to grill the veggies on the grill a little or in the oven, It is wonderful.
    Have a great week. 40's sound good to me. I'm ready for cool weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, everything seems to be going smooth.
      How much of the zucchini and squash do you add, is it for color and just a little different or are you using them to replace the potatoes?
      Nice to hear from you, I hope things are settling down in your life.

      Delete
    2. Equal amounts of potatoes, either reds or whites, and whatever squash. When you grill them, it adds wonderful flavor. No set amounts of anything. Enough mustard to coat everything. Add some onion also if you wish, red worked in this for us.
      Things are not getting better, I am just at this moment, just dealing with daily problems, I had to bring in the attorney for my mothers medicaid as they are giving me problems with their house. I am getting ready to dismantle their house by myself, so I am gearing up for that. I really wish that it would end. I just try to take each day as it come. Reading everyone's blogs help.

      Delete
    3. I'll have to try out the salad sometime this fall. Trying to to eat too many starch carbs right now but it does sound good. I know you have a lot going on, just keep your spirits up. Easier said than done sometimes, I know, but I wish only the best for you.

      Delete
  3. I never heard of National Pit Bull week, but if it isn't, it ought to be. They make good dogs if they are not abused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw it on Facebook on one of the dozen dog pages in my feed. I'm sure it's not really anything but it sounded good to us!

      Delete