Sunday, September 4, 2016

How to ride a goat

When approaching a moat, and it's so chilly you need a coat, be sure you are atop a kick-ass goat!


I didn't actually ride her, but I did visit. This cute girl belongs to my new neighbor who finally arrived from out West. It was nice to finally meet in person after several years of blogging and a few emails. I know I'm going to learn a lot about so many things. I already learned several things about goats (including I should have taken a video of how to put the harness/leash on this girl).
Sometimes the beauty is hard to capture but I try

This storm rolled in hard and fast but didn't leave snow on the peaks.

It's been stormy most of the weekend with several hours of nice weather. We took the sunshine as an opportunity to paint the front door red, from it's yucky white. The garage is getting organized with racking and containers, already making a huge difference when trying to find a tool. Rock and I have about 7 miles of hikes done and I did a nice 4 mile high altitude run. During said run I managed to step in-between two rock and tweaked my ankle a little so I didn't run today.
Rock being sort-of patient while I take a photo

2nd meeting with the Amish neighbors dog, Rock was great.

Exhausted, both of us.
I made my first ever applesauce, didn't realize it would take so long (or use so many apples) but it ended up being tasty. Could have used some more sugar but with honey crisp apples I wanted to play it safe on the sweetness. We canned some and used some on grilled pork chops. We managed to get some more jam canned up (strawberry, blueberry, peach) and unless I run into a great deal, I think the jam season is done after all of this weekends work.
Stacking jams!
We have a lot of jam, probably 75 jars or so. Next canning will be salsa and pickles but that's a few weeks away, we have some other plans for the next couple of weekends. Since we will have a lot of salsa (think jam numbers), we are going to try and figure out different ways to use it in cooking. It wouldn't surprise me if this winter has us sitting on 50 jars of pickles but those seem to vanish faster than anything so nothing to worry about with those.

The wind has hopefully blown the clouds away so I can marvel at the heavens tonight. Amazing.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a couple of black Nubians once. The idea was that they would eat the succulent grass in the meadow and I wouldn't have to mow it. But they ate the sides of my buildings, parts off my truck , my wife's plants. They were destructive as hell. I gave them to an old man who had a petting zoo, and he promised me he would never sell them to the Mexicans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of this while you were mowing the grass I bet. Sounds like so many goat stories that I have heard.

      Delete
  3. sonya@mail.postmanllc.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darcy is a good good goat. She will follow you anywhere, especially if you have some oats in your hand. Once we are settled maybe I'll bring her by to eat some brush and leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she likes clover, we have a lot of that spreading out.

      Delete