Tuesday, August 25, 2015

10 days in Italy, part 1.

A person can only take so much and I am no different. I'm a tourist, and I'm obviously spoiled since I believe in hygiene, deodorant, brushing my teeth, being polite, etc.

So spoiled...

Finally back home after out anniversary trip and as usual with all things in our lives, the trip was great with a lot of little disasters sprinkled in. From having to book 4 different hotel rooms until we found one that really was 5 star, to riding the commuter train that smelled so bad (from the people on it) that I almost threw up, to fulfilling a lifelong dream by standing on the arena floor of the Colosseum, etc.

Overall the trip was amazing and I have a lot of pictures to go through but I thought I would post a few. I don't want to bore anyone with history and there is always google but if anyone wants info just post a comment and I'll get back with you. Little things like Julius Caesar wasn't killed in the Senate building, etc... things a lot of people don't know.

Colosseum, one of my favorite photo's from the trip

First King of the united Italy, 1820-1878

Pantheon Roof. 

Pantheon columns outside the door

Floor of a basilica we wandered into

The forums of the emperors, started by Caeser in about 43bc.

Trajans column, 113ad, depicting the victories in the Dacian wars

Hallways in our 2nd hotel, previous vatican treasures storage and palace

Temple of Antoninus and Faustina, 141ad with church on top from 700ad

Arch of Titus, 82ad depicting siege and looting of Jerusalem 

2 underground levels from Domitians residence on Palatine Hill, 81-96ad

Picture this covered in marble and marble statues filling the niches 500bc-250+ad.

5 comments:

  1. Nice. Been a long time since I was over there. Your pics bring back memories.

    I hope you had a good time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you and your wife were able to relax and really enjoy the trip while leaving behind the stress of family and work back home.
    I'd love to hear more about the trip and see more pictures. It's your blog you can post as many pictures and tell as many stories about the trip as you want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love all of the pictures and would love to hear all of the stories! it sounds like you had a good time despite the little disasters and what is jokingly referred to as "first world problems" - bahahahah! tell us more.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos. I've never forgotten the, um, aromas which assailed the nostrils when I spent 18 months on and around the Mediterranean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good trip. I don't remember Italians smelling on the train, but then I had a car so I didn't ride the train much. Strange to stand in those places and think of the history that took place there.

    An even more disconcerting feeling is to look from the deck of ship, up on the African shoreline and see the silhouette of a great city, abandoned for a thousand years and standing there empty. No one around.

    Historical sites are bound to inspire one of those "as the sparks fly upwards" moments of disorientation.

    ReplyDelete