Monday, January 6, 2014

Oh yes, it's winter again!

8 Inches of snow in just a few hours on a crisp Saturday morning. We cancelled all of our plans, we don't trust the other drivers enough to hit Denver, no matter how much we want to have a evening with some old friends.
Sunday was also the family gift exchange and lunch, so I decided to walk instead of drive. The walk was a great reminder that I should wear a hat that covers my ears, -8 and wind. I do love that people across the country are rushing to the grocery stores to stock up... heaven forbid they realize it's winter.

What would it look like if it was this cold and we didn't have power? We have enough propane for about a month of running the propane (indoor safe) heater. This would be placed in the basement to keep the pipes from freezing, all the water going upstairs would be shut off. Life would be miserable but we would be alright. The cold wouldn't last that long, it's going to be 50 degrees on Wednesday, but there should always be a contingency plan.
We also have plenty of fuel for vehicles to run other electric space heaters via. inverters.

This spring we will have the gas fireplace (it's more of a heater I suppose) replaced with wood and have a few cords of wood delivered and stacked up. That's the plan, we will see if it's allowed under code and insurance, etc. Worst case scenario we will buy everything we need (new stove, more piping and hearth pads) so we can just do it ourselves if needed.

I've been on hold for 30 minutes with the United Airlines, they cancelled my flight today and Friday, so they now get to refund me the flight cost AND the hotel. It's not my fault and they must have a crystal ball to cancel a flight in 5 days. So much for being in Houston for a few days.

I know it's cold all over so stay warm, shovel slow and post pictures of Moose (mooses?, meece?)


2 comments:

  1. Concur with you: it always amazes me how people can be so surprised that it's winter. Every year!

    Of course, all y'all can send the winter weather back up here where it belongs. Regarding the moose pictures, I'm slowly building a new collection to post for my friends.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you would have moose pics soon. I would post deer pictures but I can get a few hundred a day.
      I love winter, especially the cold to warm all the time, just when you think it's spring January smacks you in the nuts.

      Delete