Saturday, September 24, 2011

UFC 135 yummy stuff

I invited a dozen or so people to the house for UFC fight night. I made some spaghetti since that's easy to do in large batches and the sauce is make and forget. I had my neighbors daughter over and did some instructing on the spaghetti sauce as well as the goodies below.
Low fat blueberry cheesecake with coconut crust
1 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 C shredded coconut, 1/2 C butter, 1/4 C sugar. It's not a coconut overload, just adds a nice flavor combination most people appreciate more than plain.
Mix and layer a spring pan on the bottom (you can make sides as well if you make more crust mix, but this is a low calorie version). Be sure to wrap the entire bottom and sides with foil so it doesn't drip in your oven if you don't cook it over water.
12 Oz. ricotta cheese, 2 boxes of 8 ounce low fat cream cheese, 3 eggs, 2 Tbs lemon zest, 6 Tbs butter, 3/4 C sugar. 350 degree about an hour.
While that's cooking make some pie dough for a blackberry pie (why not!). 1 1/2 C flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 C shortening per crust (I like the crust thicker than most, some people can get 2 crusts out of 1 batch of ingredients). I tossed it in the fridge until I was ready to use it.
 Cheesecake is done! If you don't want cracks then cook it over a pan of water. I was covering it with topping so I didn't care that it cracked.
Blueberry topping is about 4 cups of blueberries, 2 Tbs. sugar, 1/2 C lemon juice. Slow cook it real thick. Make sure it's cold before you put it on the cheesecake and it looks like this:
Finished product once you remove the spring pan sides. I kept it in the fridge until it was time to eat. Only lost a few berries once the sides were removed, but as you can see I had plenty of forks for the those.
Blackberry pie is a 2 crust pie (for this one). Filling is 3 C blackberries, 5 Tbs. sugar, 2 Tbs. lemon juice, 3 Tbs. corn starch, 1 Tbs. butter. Cook it until it starts to thicken, remove from heat and get your crust in the pan. Add filling, put top crust on cook at 400 for 45 minutes.
You can reduce the sugar in the blackberry pie if you desire, this way I think is just right. If you don't want your pie edges to darken cover them with foil at about 25 minutes. I thought it was perfect at 45 minutes.

Everyone left, the place is clean and I managed to get rid of almost everything I made. Time for some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment